Tuesday 16 February 2016

EDITORIAL: STATINS AND ME, A FOLLOW-UP

My cholesterol is coming down...without statins
 Regents Park, London 


UPDATE Mar 2024

Cautiously participated in Royal Free Hospital trial of a new cholesterol drug for the otherwise healthy but genetically disposed to high cholesterol in 2023. Unlike statins (2 of which were tried and quickly discarded within a fortnight) the new drug works on the liver.  Now a year in with no muscle pain, brain fag, disturbed sleep or other side effects.  




BACKGROUND

Regular readers of 67goingon50 know that high cholesterol is my main health worry. (About Me on Navigation Bar) 

High cholesterol, and to a lesser extent heart disease, runs in my family.  I tried statins once long ago but stopped almost immediately.  Thereafter, statins were avoided through diet and exercise.     

In 2015 - a tumultuous year - my cholesterol was stuck above 7.  It was apparently not responding to diet or lifestyle, and increasing age was raising my cardiovascular risk.     

I approached the 'new improved' statins with an open but uneasy mind. (Editorial: Statins Latest Research)  

I try the new generation of statins but...

...stopped after three weeks.  Lipids were offered but the list of side-effects were too similar to statins. 

I tried non-medical statins, with red yeast and co-enzyme Q10. I experienced unpleasant side effects from them, too, and they were expensive.  

A decision to explore Homoeopathic and Acupuncture statin treatment, which also require extended financial committments, was postponed. 

Drastic action was necessary.    

Several 'last-ditch' changes were made to diet and lifestyle. Particular focus was placed on stress-busting measures; stress is not directly linked to cholesterol but the only new factor in my life was exceptional stress.  


My last test showed cholesterol down from well above 7 to below 7.  It's not a big fall but it's going in the right direction --and it's been achieved without statins.      


SO, HOW WAS IT DONE?

Actually, I'm not sure.  Any or all of the changes I made could have made a difference.  I definitely lost weight.

In no particular order, the changes are:

LIFESTYLE
  • Regular therapeutic massage  Stress or no stress, apparently coping or not, budget-busting or not - no month goes by without at least half an hour of acupuncture massage.  (How to...Reduce Stress (Note Mar 2023: during a cost of living crisis, no longer possible)
  • Long therapeutic walks  At least one of my six gym sessions is replaced with a 90-minute walk through a park or forest


DIET

Reducing carbohydrates

Some research shows restricting carbs can help reduce cholesterol levels.  Healthy eating tends to reduce levels of animal protein and carbs often go up.  I restricted carb intake to 100 gms a day.  (A safe limit for a normal-to-large male cholesterol-phobe would be 150 gms a day.) 

As a result, intake of fresh vegetables and fruit rose sharply; every meal now contains at least 2 large servings of vegetables or fruit.

See: The Diet that's Almost as Good as Statins, The Times 
http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/health/advice/article4691103.ece


The food blog

Writing a food blog is a dangerous occupation for a cholesterol-phobe practicing the 'all things in moderation' philosophy -- even if the blog's food is healthier than most.   

Sometimes 67's recipes turn out so well, portion control flies out the window.  Getting the balance right isn't easy. (Principles of Healthy Eating),  


Now, I'm ruthless about...
  • weighing portions
  • giving away food; my workmates are wonderfully voracious tasters and gladly accept offerings, even when they need more work
  • eating only when hungry; my body demands a good breakfast and lunch but isn't too bothered about supper; more often than not, now; a big bowl of broth or a small smoothie suffices 
  • increasing fibre; breakfast always includes oatmeal or wholemeal bread (Light Wholemeal Soda Bread); wholemeal flour is added to baked goods; more dietary fibre allows me to... 
  • reduce diary; It's difficult for Asians to digest cows' milk - and though the Blogger uses goats milk yoghurt, it's now kept to a minimum; butter usage has been halved    
  • replacing peanut butter with baked raw nuts

CONCLUSION...

I'm optimistic.  In the not-too-distant past, I got my cholesterol down - again without statins - to below 5.  I aim to do it again. 








B Lee/Bright Sun Enterprises accept no liability for the consequences of any actions taken on the basis of the information provided.
  

No comments:

Post a Comment