Tuesday 30 June 2020

PRODUCTS RECENTLY TESTED BY 67GOINGON50 (2)

Products recently tested by the Blog:


Meridien 'Richer Roast' Crunchy Peanut Butter 
(nearly £3 for 280gms: Waitrose & other supermarkets)

The blogger has avoided Meridien peanut butter for years, believing   that any company that couldn't be bothered to blend the peanut butter and its layer of oil didn't deserve my money.

Recently unable to find my regular sugar-free brand (WholeFoods) the Meridien Richer Roast caught my eye.  Some clever person has re-thought the marketing, designed a new label and decided to highlight its qualities.  So even though it was not cheap, I tested it.     Reader, it was worth it!

The peanut butter is perfectly emulsified; it's a beautiful colour, the  texture is out of this world and it tastes really, fabulous (to my mind, much more 'adult' that Pipps).  In fact, it is so enjoyable, you won't need as much to satisfy a craving.  That's a bonus, calorie-wise. 

Including peanut skins, free of sugar and palm oil, the peanut butter scores high on the healthy meter.  



Dedicato Italian Spaghetti
(50p per packet, on offer at M&S; usual price £1)
 
The Blogger is not a great fan of supermarket pasta; I've been spoiled by pastas in Italian homes.  In fact, when the pasta urge strikes at 67goingon50, it's usually for wholemeal spelt pasta.  

So I was intrigued by this brand in M&S. The white packet - like most things in Italy - looks good.  The contents were good.  So good in taste and texture it brought back memories Italy.  I ate far, far more than I should have.  

The only shapes  I've seen at M&S are non-wholemeal spaghetti, twisty fusilli and striated penne but maybe there's a high-fibre version down the line.

If you don't read Italian - I don't - drop it into boiling water, turn heat down to simmer and leave for 9 minutes, stirring occasionally.  I served mine cold with 67goingon50's Italian Seafood Salad with Avocado & Grapefruit.

I am buying more of this brand!



Seggiano Raw Basil Genovese Pesto
(£6'ish for 200gm: Whole Foods, Barrets Butchers on Englands Lane and up-market delis)

£6 sounds a lot for a jar of pesto but when you take into account the cost of fresh organic basil, good olive oil (most jars contain sunflower oil) -  good parmesan and pine & cashew nuts, it is not extravagant.

And my goodness, it is terrific!  On pasta, hot or cold, on fresh wholemeal bread or toast, with cold potatoes.  And get this -- it is not over-salted!

Trust me, if Pesto is your thing, this one will knock your socks off.


Please leave a comment in the box below


B Lee/Bright Sun Enterprises accept no liability for the consequences of any actions taken on the basis of the information provided.

No comments:

Post a Comment